أشهد أن لا اله الا الله وأشهد أن محمد رسول الله
I believe that the shahadah is without value unless it is earnest. This post is about essential criteria for an expression of the shahadah to be earnest. One such list of seven critical conditions of the shahadah, without which it is considered to be meaningless, are as follows:
- Al-`Ilm: Knowledge of the meaning of the Shahadah, its negation and affirmation.
- Al-Yaqeen: Certainty – perfect knowledge of it that counteracts suspicion and doubt.
- Al-Ikhlaas: Sincerity which negates syirik.
- Al-Sidq: Truthfulness that permits neither falsehood nor hypocrisy.
- Al-Mahabbah: Love of the Shahadah and its meaning, and being happy with it.
- Al-Inqiad: Submission to its rightful requirements, which are the duties that must be performed with sincerity to God (alone) seeking His pleasure.
- Al-Qubool: Acceptance that contradicts rejection.