As a normal human being, I believe that I have committed sins in this life intentionally or unintentionally. It is really fortunate for us as Allah is so Great that He had promised to forgive those who seek His forgiveness.
Anas ibn Malik radyAllahu ‘anh that the Prophet salAllahu ‘alaihee wa sallam said“By Him in Whose Hand is my soul: If you committed sins to the extent that your sins filled what is between the heavens and the earth, Allah would forgive you after seeking His forgiveness. By Him in Whose hand is Muhammad’s soul, if you did not commit sins, Allah would replace you by other people who would commit sins. Then, Allah forgives them after seeking His forgiveness.” (Musnad of Imaam Ahmed)
But why people always keep doing their sins repeatedly after seeking for forgiveness. I believe it is the “sincerity” when asking for the forgiveness is not there. This is some of the idea on how to sincerely ask for forgiveness.
- Ikhlaas – gotta have sincerity. Repenting to Allah for the sake of Allah, not because we are caught in the act.
- Admit the sin – don’t ignore, trivialize or at worst, justify the sin. Admitting there is a problem is the first step to solving it.
- Feeling guilty – “Feeling guilty IS tawbah” AlMustafa, salAllaho alaihi wa sallam.
- Immediate tawbah – just like Adam (AS). This is very hard because many-a-times, after committing the sin, we feel so guilty and disgusted with ourselves that we feel ashamed to do tawbah = exactly what shaitaan wants – to delay us and our tawbah. Therefore, the solution is to do tawbah immediately.
- Increase in the good deeds – hasanat wipes away sins.
- Intend to stop the sin – make a true, sincere intention and strong resolve to never return to the sin. If you do slip back, start over from step 1 until this step is actualized. Doesn’t matter how many times the slip happens…1000, 10000, a million, a billion times. Just keep going back to step 1 if you do fall in the sin. If this seems like an infinite loop, then its a plot of syaitaan to make you think this way.Only Allah’s Mercy is infinite.
Have we seek for His forgiveness today?
Seek it while the door is still wide open…………